Slinger/ Signaller training (December 2022) CPCS
December 5 - December 9
A 5 day CPCS Slinger/ signaller – all duties (A40A) course. Maximum of 4 delegates.
The aim of this course is to provide candidates with practical and theoretical knowledge to help undertake the role of a slinger/signaller. This qualification covers slinger/signaller – all duties.
Through a combination of targeted training and experience, a slinger/signaller will be able to:
Slinger/ signaller course content
Roles and responsibilities
- Describe the nature of the sector of industry and their role and responsibilities as a slinger/signaller
Preparing for work
- Name and explain the purpose of differing types of lifting equipment and lifting accessories, basic construction, uses and applications, characteristics and terminology
- Conform with manufacturer’s requirements as per technical data, other types of information source and relevant regulations and legislation
- Interpret and extract information on all relevant documentation
- Undertake all pre-use checks on non-specialist lifting accessories (relevant to the endorsement) and identify non-serviceable items
- Identify specialist lifting accessories relevant to the endorsement
- Explain when additional skills and knowledge for lifting operations may be required
- Explain procedures for placing non-serviceable items out-of-service
Setting up for work
- Confirm methods of communication with the machine operator
- Identify centres of gravity and establish weights of loads
- Prepare and ready the area of operation and maintain exclusion zones
- Choose the relevant lifting accessory for a given load
- Explain actions required for hazards including underground and overhead services
Slinger/ signaller working tasks
- Secure and detach various types of load to the requisite lifting point using the relevant lifting accessory and procedures
- Ensure load balance, security and integrity
- Guide and control the movement of loads to different types of location
- Explain the importance and locations of positions of safety for a slinger and other personnel
- Accurately place loads
- Use and comply with a range of communication procedures
- Provide directions where the machine operator cannot observe the full path of the load
- Maintain safe working situations
Working tasks (pick and carry duties)
- Assess and confirm that the area for machine movement is suitable for manoeuvring activities and contains suitable locations to undertake marshalling duties (endorsements A, D and E)
- Control loads during pick-and-carry duties (endorsements A, D and E)
- Carry out out-of-service and securing procedures
For your reference you can download the relevant questions for the theory test.
ACOP offer the full range of CPCS-accredited courses. This listing is an example of what we have forthcoming. However, please contact us will any individual requirements, or to ask for any cancellations and last minute offers.
We are based near Cross Hands, Llanelli, south Wales. We are within a reasonable driving distance of the following areas: Aberystwyth, Birmingham, Bristol, Caldicot, Cardiff, Cardigan, Carmarthen, Hereford, Milford Haven, Newport, Newtown, Pembroke, south west England, Swansea, Swindon, Welshpool.