- This event has passed.
Slinger/ Signaller training (all duties) (January 2021)
January 25 - January 28
We are running a 4 day CPCS (A40A) Slinger/ signaller (all duties) course.
Spaces are limited to a maximum of 3 delegates.
Please get in touch to reserve a place.
Through a combination of targeted training and experience, a slinger/signaller will be able to:
Roles and responsibilities
- Describe the nature of the sector of industry and their role and responsibilities as a slinger/signaller
Preparing for work
- Name and explain the purpose of differing types of lifting equipment and lifting accessories, basic construction, uses and applications, characteristics and terminology
- Conform with manufacturer’s requirements as per technical data, other types of information source and relevant regulations and legislation
- Interpret and extract information on all relevant documentation
- Undertake all pre-use checks on non-specialist lifting accessories (relevant to the endorsement) and identify non-serviceable items
- Identify specialist lifting accessories relevant to the endorsement
- Explain when additional skills and knowledge for lifting operations may be required
- Explain procedures for placing non-serviceable items out-of-service
Setting up for work
- Confirm methods of communication with the machine operator
- Identify centres of gravity and establish weights of loads
- Prepare and ready the area of operation and maintain exclusion zones
- Choose the relevant lifting accessory for a given load
- Explain actions required for hazards including underground and overhead services
- Secure and detach various types of load to the requisite lifting point using the relevant lifting accessory and procedures
- Ensure load balance, security and integrity
- Guide and control the movement of loads to different types of location
- Explain the importance and locations of positions of safety for a slinger and other personnel
- Accurately place loads
- Use and comply with a range of communication procedures
- Provide directions where the machine operator cannot observe the full path of the load
- Maintain safe working situations
Working tasks (pick and carry duties)
- Assess and confirm that the area for machine movement is suitable for manoeuvring activities and contains suitable locations to undertake marshalling duties (endorsements A, D and E)
- Control loads during pick-and-carry duties (endorsements A, D and E)
- Carry out out-of-service and securing procedures
ACOP offer the full range of CPCS-accredited courses. This listing is an example of what we have forthcoming. However, please contact us will any individual requirements, or to ask for any cancellations and last minute offers.